This is a quickie, first impressions introduction.
Unbubble bills itself as a European meta search engine, based in Germany with all other operations based inside the EU. Normally I don’t get too excited about meta search engines but this one caught my eye for a couple of reasons:
- One of the search engines it uses is my favorite: Mojeek
- Exactseek is used. Exactseek’s search results are actually pretty good, but given the nature of the Exactseek parent company I wouldn’t exactly associate it with privacy. Hmm.
- EU privacy laws.
- Unbiased results by using many different search sources. Yeah I like.
The meta search engine for the US mainly pulls results from Exactseek, Mojeek and Yandex as the heavy lifters. That’s a pretty good trio because just those three blended can produce a very good search result. But add in Qwant, Faroo and some others and the results get even more interesting. Unbubble specifically talks about “directories” as being providers and I like the sound of that.
Search results pages are clean and neat without too many distractions. Search results are very good, although sometimes the search is a bit slow. The pages use a lot of JS so that might be the cause.
There is a search plugin for Chrome (why TF are you using Chrome?) and also an assistive search installer for other browsers that may not normally allow you to add search engines.
How Private is Private?
Unbubble is definitely worth trying.
Notes on Exactseek:
- Their search results are really quite good.
- They claim to be a directory, but their search result algo is way better than any directory I have ever seen. And they must have a huge index.
- They are owned by Jayde Online Network. Which is a marketing firm.
This was also posted to
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.